Xenophobia victims narrates ordeal upon arrival home

Written by  Patrick Lunda

The first group of Malawians fleeing Xenophobia attacks in South Africa arrived in the country on Monday in the evening with 390 victims aboard six buses.


Government has ferried the buses to pick Malawians willing to come back home and the first group of the 3,200 victims of the attacks arrived at Blantyre Social Welfare Offices at Kwacha in Blantyre.

MBC Reporter Blessings Kanache, who followed the arrival of the victims at Kwacha, said some of the victims alighted from the buses in clutches to support themselves from injuries they sustained from the attacks.

He said it was pitiable to see some visibly in pains from the wounds sustained after the attacks.

Communications Officer for Department of Disaster Management Affairs Jeremiah Mphande also said some of the victims needed medical attention as they were in pains.

“After their arrival we gave them food and also some had to go to hospital because they were in pains,” Mphande said.

Amin Yusuf, one of the victims from Luwemba Village, T/A Jalasi Mangochi said he was devastated by the xenophobia attacks which started barely three days after he arrived in Durban full of hope to start a dream life.


But Yusuf disclosed that it turned out to be disastrous as he struggled to raise K112,000 over the years to meet expenses for passport and transport.

“I have been trying in vain to go and work in South Africa for a long time and this year in March by God’s Grace my dream became true when I managed to go after my brother had sent the money,” Yusuf said.

The 33-year-old married man with two children said situation of xenophobic attacks forced him to seek refuge at a camp Chatsworth, in Durban to save his life having witnessed the perpetrators gouging people’s eyes and chopping limbs.

He has returned home poorer as he has to start all over again and having invested to travel to South Africa.

With just a small bag that he brought from his sojourn, filled with clothes donated by well wishers the 33-year-old’s ordeal and predicament was laid bare when he could not hide his joy after receiving K8,000 from the government meant for transport and lunch for him.

“I am grateful for what the government has done to us. They have given me K8,000 which will be enough for my transport and buying food for my family. I know my wife has nothing at the moment,” he said.
While at the camp in South Africa life was unbearable for him and other victims of the attacks.

He said the camp was wet and congestedgiving them no enough room and space to relax.

He said he witness a Malawian he only identified as Dalawesi also from Mangochi being heavily beaten. Dalawesi is still in a South African hospital being treated from the injuries.

Another victim Mustafa Ali of Lilombwa Village in Traditional Chowe in Mangochi also said he was glad to come home as the situation was horrific and unsafe for living.

Get Your Newsletter