Woman dies after eating poisonous grasshoppers

Written by  Rhoda Chembe

An 81 year old woman has died in Ntchisi after eating grasshoppers which were suspected to be poisonous.

fatal species fatal species
11
February


According to Ntchisi Public Relations Officer, Gladson Mbumpha, the deceased went out into a soya garden for weeding with her 8 year old granddaughter.


Later on, the granddaughter went out hunting for grasshoppers and came back with two which she roasted and ate with her grandmother, Hilda Chizimu.


Upon returning home, the two started vomiting and became very weak. Chizimu then slept under a tree where she usually took naps during the day.


Later on, she was discovered dead by her grandson. Medical reports from Malomo Health Centre confirmed death was due to poisoning.

Get Your Newsletter