In the just ended week, street vendors within the Capital City were told by the city authorities to move their benches away from unauthorized places like sidewalks and relocate to designated markets a thing that did not amuse the vendors.
“These running battles between city authorities and street vendors have become a yearly staple, which is clearly a sign that we need a more lasting solution to the problems our street vendors need us to solve,” said Chakwera.
- Vendors and city authorities should not treat each other as adversaries.
- Business and State actors to collaborate on innovative solutions facing the country’s cities.
- Urgent need for regular cleaning, quality and safety checks.
- Need for diligent collection or payment of city rates.
- Encourage proper disposal of trash and waste management.